Monday, March 17, 2008

Papercuts in the Old Hotel

For some reason I was driving the Papercuts tour van. It was not your usual white tour van; instead, it was an old rickety yellow school bus with torn leather seats and smudgy windows that didn't roll up all the way. The beast was a bitch to drive--not only because of it's massive size, but because the brakes barely worked so I was constantly worried I'd hit something.
I finally found a parking spot right outside of an old building in a crummy neighborhood where the folks were practicing. We were in a town that was not our own--specfically in a bad part of this new town. There were a lot of run-down houses with cracked windows, chipping paint, dry dead grass, and empty streets. Right next to the building was a gigantic old hotel that any onlooker would thinkg was abandoned in the 50's, but in actuality it was still operating. I know this because it was where everyone was staying.
The place was falling apart. It was plagued with broken windows, peeling faded wallpaper, outdated mismatched antique furnishings and linens--an appearance that suggested that the hotel hadn't been touched since the early 1900s. The hallways and creaky wood staircases were dark, dingy, and set up like a confusing maze. I was staying with Claire who was in heaven at this vintage landmark. She loved the tattered quilts and chalky walls. I was not as thrilled. Everything was dirty and tired, and I longed for something fresh, cheery, and colorful. My mom was staying there too. Her room was similarly ancient and ecclectic. Her large bed was positioned under a long stretch of windows. Her room contained the usual old faded vintage sheets and comforter, bare creaky wooden floors, peeling walls, and an old vanity with an oval mirror above it. It stood at a slant right next to the bed. Upon it were old pink perfume bottles covered in dust, and a collection of scarves and jewelry left by generations of past visitors. When I approached the bed I looked through the window and was astonished. While the hotel was a dump, the views were breathtaking. The ocean was enormous and blue, and the beaches were filled with people laughing and playing. It could have still been the 50's for all the strange sports and swimsuits that I saw below. My mom and I decided we would head out to the beach. Next thing I knew we were all leaving the hotel. We had completely cleared out our rooms (to the point where they were bare of all furniture and remnants of human existence) and were headed out to explore the city--or possibly to move on to the next adventure. We went to a dinner party where there was warmth, food, gifts, and friends. And then I awoke to a clear blue sky.

No comments: