Saturday, February 23, 2008

Long Walk Into Hippieville

Dreamt that I walked all the way from Sacramento to Auburn, or was it Folsom, or was it Placerville--I forget. It was a long walk. I brought Trevor's parents along with me. When we got there it was like the French Quarter of New Orleans, small alleyways with little shops, cute little houses, restaurants, and even a couple of blocks of Chinatown that all intersected at where we stood. After poking around a bit, me and two other people--not the parents--continued our walk. We started hiking up into the hills. There was a trail made of smooth pink glass-like rock, almost as if the trail had been moulded by a hose of extreme heat or sculpted by Gaudi. We went past a few little towns in this way, until we reached a place that looked like New Mexico. It was a small hippie commune with a few shops and lodging. I met some people there that reminded me of all the new agers I used to hang out with when I lived in Sacramento. I liked that about this place. People with magical eyes would look deep into your soul and know your goodness intuitively. They took me in and I stayed in a dorm-looking room for almost two days. All of the food places were vegan/raw type places, even the coffee shop was raw somehow. A girl with glowing green eyes took me to a place that made everything out of yams. It was delicious actually. I had rice with yams, and yam fries. After that town, we went further up into the hills into a place that was lush and tropical. I was with only one older woman now who knew someone who lived up here. We found a wooden gate and entered. We went up and up through little decks with eclectic mixtures of potted plants, towels, sun umbrellas, chairs, more potted plants, wind chimes, clay sculptures, each level was the same sort of catalogue but arranged differently--but in a very livable way. We finally approached a wooden patched shack that resembled a yurt. A large woman was there, and suddenly Trevor's parents were back with us. The woman offered us candy. We said yes, unaware that she was giving us edible doll candy from the 60's that had dirt all over it. We scraped the dirt off, bit into the head, then discarded the rest. Me and Trevor's dad were disappointed because we were hungry after all our walking. They left and the large woman was suddenly beautiful, like an aged hippie with long silver hair in braids and wearing flowing clothes with birkenstocks. She had a daughter that was very sweet and pretty, unaware of how noticeably hippie and natural her home was. We had tea with her and looked out onto the lush green landscape and all of its flowers. Then it was time to go and it was just me. I made my way down the maze of decks, tiptoeing around the pots and towels and chairs, past an outdoor shower with the little girl's flip flops beside it. I kept on descending until I reached the gate that lead to the road home. Then I woke up.

No comments: